Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 72

Well, another conference has come and gone. It kinda makes me sad actually. Conference in the mission is like a small holiday! It was yet again pretty awesome, and there were some super good talks. Elder Holland and Elder Bednar were my favorites, as usual. I have a feeling that we'll be using Bednar's Law of Chastity talk with quite a few investigators in the next few months. Anywho, that was pretty much the highlight of the week. And luckily, we had 12 investigators show up for conference! Well, I guess I shouldn't say it's luck... more like some hard work and some divine help. But we're hoping to turn the General Conference success into some baptismal dates this coming week :)
 
For probably the third week in a row, we will be waiting for partidas to marry and baptize the family we have been teaching for a couple months. They're super legit, and they've accepted everything. It just depends on getting the paperwork... again. I think my zone leader is gonna pull a fast one and help us out though- that's the hope anyway. Other than that, we're hoping to baptize a few other people, but still have to fix some things first.

There were changes this past Wednesday! I stayed in the same area with the same companion, so it didn't really affect me too much. For some reason, it just seemed like that was what was going to happen. I don't think I even mentioned it last week actually. But some good news is my old Utila comp Elder Russo came to my zone! I was stoked when I heard, and it was good to see him again!

For some reason, it seemed like we got double dinners quite a few times this past week. One night in particular was pretty memorable. We had a visit with this one family, who asked us if we wanted some baleadas to eat. As a missionary, I feel like we pretty much have to say yes when people ask us that. So we grudgingly agreed, knowing that we had a dinner appointment scheduled right after that. They gave us three baleadas each, which is a pretty solid meal. They tried to give us more, but we convinced them that we were full, and went on our way. At our dinner appointment, guess what they had? Baleadas! They gave us four each, bringing our nightly total up to seven. I thought I wasn't gonna be able to do it while I was eating that seventh one, but somehow I found some extra room. Luckily, baleadas are pretty good too cuz it feels like I'm averaging about three a day the last few weeks. It's all anyone makes for us.

We also had one of my most interesting lessons this past week. We're teaching a single mother and her two daughters, and for this lesson, we taught in the house of the Fuentes family, a strong member family in the ward. The Fuentes dad is really stoked about missionary work (probably cuz he has two sons on missions) and helps us a lot. But lessons with him can get a little out of control. Let's just say he's a talker, and when he gets going, he's hard to stop. Anyway, I was battling him pretty much the entire lesson, trying to teach what we had planned, but not having much success. The craziest part? He mentioned ministering of angels and had us look up "Lamanites" in the index of the scriptures! We were teaching about Joseph Smith by the way. It would have been funny if it wouldn't have derailed our lesson so much. Anyway, please don't be like Brother Fuentes if you teach with the missionaries. It stresses me out teaching with people like that. With everything else he's a huge help though. He invited the family over for lunch, gave them a ride to conference, and is always there to answer their questions. So I gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose.

Also, Elder Sweat and I have started realizing that some Honduran children have never seen gringos before. Why? Because they stare at us openmouthed for long periods of time. Elder Sweat has started waving at them or staring back to make them stop, but we always get a kick out of these ninos staring at us with no shame haha

Well, that's all for this week, but I hope you guys have a great week! Start applying what was taught in Conference!

Love,

Elder Birt


No comments:

Post a Comment