Monday, November 26, 2012

Week 53

So... Thanksgiving in Utila turned out to be really disappointing. People told me before that they celebrate it here, but NOONE did anything that day! It made me really sad. There was even a family that said they were gonna invite us for pecan pie, but they didn't come through. Oh well, it was my only Thanksgiving in Honduras, so I guess I can miss out on one in my life.

So the work keeps moving along here in Utila. I've noticed that there are obviously a bunch of negatives with a really small branch, but there is one big positive. I'm such good friends with every single one of the branch members. We're with them about every day of the week because there are so few people to visit, but it means that as missionaries, we really develop strong relationships with everyone. It really is like a big, crazy, Utilian family. Also, the primary program is in two weeks, which means the primary is practicing three times a week. And as the Branch Presidency, we have to be in every church meeting, so we get to go! It's a cool experience actually. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, we practice with all the primary and then have seminary with the teenagers right after. It's like experiencing my childhood all over again... except in Spanish.

As far as investigators go, Mariela is still dragging her feet. Something changed after Elder Skousen left, and she doesn't seem as excited about baptism anymore. I guess that can happen when there is a change of missionaries, but we're hoping to turn it around and lock down a baptismal date. We've found a couple other niños that are going to the primary practices and are interested in getting baptized, so there are other possibilies as well. But where we're really making some headway is with the inactive members- we've already activated five people and we're hoping for more in church next Sunday. It makes me really happy, but sad at the same time because it's almost a sure thing now that they are going to close the branch.

We played soccer on the beach today with a bunch of the niños. It was a lot of fun! I hadn't played soccer for a while, so it was a really enjoyable experience. Plus I scored about 15 goals- kinda cheap since we were playing with younger kids, but I tried to keep them involved too haha. I can't believe we're already moving into December! It should be an awesome holiday season here. At least they celebrate Christmas, cuz if not, I would be pretty upset. Have a safe and happy holiday season, and I'll talk to you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment