Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 28

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good week! Mine was very long... time seems to slow down when I go to a different place and start up a different routine. But there is a lot of news to talk about, so I'll get right to it!
Obviously, the biggest news is that I'm in a different area! It's called San Marcos, and it's about 80 miles west of San Pedro Sula. Also, it's in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, there's like nothing here. For example, I've been trying to find peanut butter for the last 4 days and have been unsuccessful. It's been a big adjustment since I was in the city in my last area, with big stores, restaurants, and other American-like things. As far as the church here, there's only a branch. Apparently, there are about 300 members, but the attendance is usually about 80 or 90 (a bunch of inactives). However, they just finished a new chapel three weeks ago (they were meeting in a house before), so there is some enthusiasm about that. There are all kinds of problems with the branch here though- inexperienced leaders, insufficient members to fill all the leadership positions, and tons of inactives to name a few. However, I feel like the branch has a lot of potential if we can just get everyone working together (that will be a challenge, but my comp and I have some ideas). As far as missionary work goes, we set up a baptismal date on the 16th the day after I got here. I can't take much credit for that one haha. And we have some other possibilities, such as a family of 5 that we're pretty excited about. I'll have an update on that next week though...
 
The other big change was my companion. His name is Elder Xol (pronounced Shole), and he's from Guatemala. He's only been out for about 10 months, and just recently became senior companion. We get along pretty well, and seem to have some chemistry in our lessons. We've made a deal that he'll help me with any Spanish that I don't know, and I'll help him with his English (he hardly knows any, so my lessons are pretty basic right now).
 
Ok, I'm not really sure why, but I have a bunch of crazy stories this week:
 
1. I saw my first fistfight in Honduras. It happened on the 90 minute bus ride from San Pedro to San Marcos when this one teenager kept pestering his friend. The guy put up with it for a while, but then he stood up, yelled something at his friend in Spanish (I'm not really sure what, but I'm assuming it was cuss words that I don't know), put him in a headlock, and started punching him in the face. I was kinda freaking out at this point, but everybody else on the bus was just watching and letting them "work things out." It only lasted about 3 minutes and luckily, the guy didn't get any good punches in, but he still beat up his friend pretty good. After it was over, they went back to their seats like nothing happened.
 
2. There were people from the States that came to San Marcos to give free medical help to the people here. Two of them happened to be former missionaries, and saw us walking by. They came and talked to us (English with me, Spanish with my comp), and we showed them around the new chapel. It was good seeing some fellow Gringos :)
 
3. So my MTC comp, Elder Hebert, and I were joking about following each other around for the whole mission since he was changing areas too. Well, it turns out the revelation agreed with us because he's in my district now! Haha it's so awesome cuz we'll still see each other at least once a week still! And we're going to try to convince our district leader to let us go on divisions and be comps for a day. It probably won't work, but it's worth a shot haha
 
Well, I wish I could write more, but I don't have much more time. I'll share the rest of my stories next week and hopefully have some positive news about the missionary work here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment